Thursday, May 28, 2009
Article and photo (of Nubble Lighthouse, York Beach, Maine) by Eric H.
Top 10 lists are popular from what David Letterman has to say to the greatest music of all time. How about a top 10 list of favorite things to do in New England?
We'd love to hear your feedback. I'll start off with my top 10 list (subject to change depending on mood and season), and look forward to yours.
1. Spending a day at friendly, scenic Short Sands Beach in York Beach, Maine, and then walking to Nubble Lighthouse for a taste of coastal rocky Maine, some salt-sea air and views of perhaps New England's most scenic lighthouse.
2. Enjoying a Pawtucket Red Sox game at the nicely restored, fan-friendly McCoy Stadium in Pawtucket, RI.
3. Taking a drive through the small towns along scenic Route 169 in the beautiful "Quiet Corner" of northeastern Connecticut.
4. Eating the best Italian pizza in the world at the landmark Santarpio's in East Boston, MA.
5. Reveling in the ultimate New England village atmosphere of Weston, VT -- home of the Vermont Country Store and a place where the entire village is listed on the National Register of Historic Places!
6. Traveling to Acadia National Park in Maine where the ocean magically meets the mountains.
7. Trying out different flavors of ice cream at Bubbling Brook in Westwood, MA -- a great way to relax with family and friends on a hot summer night at a classic ice cream stand.
8. Walking the historic, personality-filled streets of coastal Portsmouth, NH, and enjoying the colorful local shops and restaurants.
9. Having a nice, traditional New England dinner at the historic, charming Salem Cross Inn restaurant in West Brookfield, MA.
10. Walking the scenic three-mile Cliff Walk rising above the Atlantic Ocean in Newport, RI.
The North End of Boston is a vibrant, colorful interesting Italian neighborhood that also happens to be regarded as one of the most popular ...
Who loves a good old-fashioned New England town common? If so, I am pleased to tell you that I have written a book entitled "Massachu...
New Englanders have a true love for ice cream. How else could one explain several ice cream stands remaining open during the frigid New Engl...
Scott Kearnan, of Zagat, just wrote an informative post about " Boston's Most Anticipated Restaurant Openings of 2015 ." Per...
The Phantom Gourmet has a terrific presentation on a most unusual food experience: dining at the top of Newburyport Lighthouse in Newbury...
Commander's Mansion, Watertown (photo credit: Commander's Mansion web site I remember quite well the commander's quarters, ...
Deerfield Inn Bed and Breakfast, Deerfield MA (photo by Eric) Over at our flagship site, VisitingNewEngland , we have published three ...
The New England winter can be so brutal but the scenes that come out of it can be so soothing and scenic. Case in point: the Norwood, Ma...
If you're looking for the latest New Hampshire ski conditions, SkiNH offers a terrific online resource for Alpine and Nordic skiing des...
Brown's Ice Cream Stand in York Beach, Maine, is on the real estate market for 1.7 million (photo by Eric) It breaks my heart to s...